Welcome to doc2dash
doc2dash is an extensible Documentation Set (docset) generator that helps you to have documentation for all your favorite APIs in Dash.app-compatible API browsers.
An API browser is an application that runs locally on your computer and allows you to search various API docs by pressing a key combination and starting to type (I have bound it to Alt-Space bar and can’t write code without it).
The most common ones – Dash.app (macOS) and Zeal (Windows and Linux) – come with many docsets out of the box, but they can never offer you docsets for every package you’ll ever use. This is where doc2dash comes in: It takes your offline documentation and converts it into an indexed format that API browsers can read and search (very fast!).
Currently it supports all known intersphinx-based documentation systems like Sphinx, pydoctor, or MkDocs (with mkdocstrings). While doc2dash is a Python project, the support is not limited to Python-related formats.
It’s also extendable: you can write your own parser!
- License: MIT
- PyPI: https://pypi.org/project/doc2dash/
- Source Code: https://github.com/hynek/doc2dash
- Documentation: https://doc2dash.rtfd.io/
- Changelog: https://github.com/hynek/doc2dash/blob/main/CHANGELOG.md
- Supported Python Versions: 3.8 and later (check the changelog for past releases that support much older Python versions)
- Platforms: pre-compiled binaries for Linux, macOS, and Windows available; also runs on everything that runs Python